Friday, February 02, 2007

Want to Read a Good Book ?

I read endlessly. I read at every possible moment I can. I can never get enough of it and consider this a acceptable and good addiction ( there are not many of these as I light yet another smoke ha !)
I am so addicted to my reading that on some occasions it can cause issues. For example, I cannot fall asleep at night unless I read. Unfortunately once I get hooked I cannot stop ( I get hooked easily by the way) and next thing I know it is like 3 in the morning and I am fighting of sleep like a 2 year old and drooling ever so slightly ( this could possibly explain why I am single ?) Even worse I insist upon reading even after coming home from a night out on the town. Now reading when drunk is not reccomended and there should be warnings on books for this! I have on many occasions started to read after unhealthy amounts of booze and well ended up hailing the white god in the bathroom due to the motion like sickness the reading causes. I have also while drunk realised I am attempting to read the book....upside down...I had problems with that one.

I got this obbsession for reading from my parents and I thank them for that. They took our TV away one year when we were kids when they realised that the TV was our god and we refused to work because of it. We came home one day and Dad had taken a knife to the cord....TV rendered dead ! We went without for almost a year. Of course I hated it at the time, but I look back now and think brilliant idea.
I had so many books in the UK. I had quickly realised I would not be able to bring them to Canada on my return. I had to sell those books ( damn I love ebay and the money I made from them) and it was hard. Nothing pleases me more then bookselves upon bookselves of books I have read and loved, the more the better.

So 2 weeks ago I decided I wanted to read a book before seeing the movie. When I saw the adds
for The Children of Men I wanted to see that movie faster then you could say movie. But then I heard a radio ( another healthy addiction of mine, the radio) interview with the author of the actual book and thought hmmm reading that first. Listening to P.D James talk about it got me hooked and apperantely a whole lot of others hooked. I went the local library to get it out and was told there were 120 people ahead of me. I bought the book.
I bought it on the Friday night and Sunday morning I finished it I have never been so sad to finish a book as I was that one.

So if you want to read a book that grabs you from the beginning chucks you about a few times turns you into a drooling fool at 3 in the morning then this is the one. It is by far one of the best books I have read in such a long time.
Read it. Then tell me what you think I want to know what others think.

No comments: